Monday, October 08, 2007

Want It! Have It! Do It!

I want this one!


Groo's a favourite from my long-lost childhood. Just love the stories of this bumbling barbarian who pretty much brings disaster with him wherever he goes. He does try to be helpful but practically everyone considers it most helpful to send him away on long, distant, impossible missions. The farther, the better. Preferably to an enemy kingdom.

Back when I followed the series, the story was told in epic fashion. A brief lead-in, followed by a fairly detailed "opening title" tableau (usually with a trail of disaster tracing up to Groo), with a poem to introduce the story. And of course, it always ended with a moral. Whether or not the moral makes any sense is another question.

Anyway, as soon as I heard about this special 25th Anniversary Edition (like, I can't believe Groo is younger than me!), I headed over to Borders to get my hands on one. To my disapointment and disgust, they didn't have it. In fact, they don't even have any Groo titles!

Boo to Borders!


I had this one!


A friend of mine introduced this to me, and boy, did I get hooked from my first mouthful.

It's Peanut Snowie (no relation to the blogger... I think) from 600cc. It may not look like much, but it's quite heavenly. Basically, shaved ice ala ais kacang, smothered in peanut butter and ice cream. Peanut butter lovers, you gotta have this!

Haven't yet tried the other flavors they have. Recommended on the menu was the Flossy Snowie, as in chicken floss. While possibly palatable, it does sound rather dodgy. I mean, chicken floss on ice?!

Tried the beef on rice there too, but it's pretty ho-hum. It's the desserts that stand out, I suppose.

600cc (apparently, the "cc" isn't "cubic centimeters" as I had thought, but "cute cute") has quite a few branches, all of them though, in the state of Penang. I'd like to see them open in the Valley and give KTZ a run for the money.


I don't quite know if I like this one but...

You aint even tryin'a play me, boy
Cos you're so good, and you're so fine

Got me sayin' crazy things - listen!


Honestly, first time I heard this one, I thought, "Just like every other JLo song."

However, just like every other JLo song, it is rather infectious. No thanks to that Bollywood-ish trill (but, thankfully, no Benny Lavas). I scoped out the video and actually felt a smidgeon of disappointment to find that it didn't contain scores of people appearing out of nowhere to dance in perfect unison.

Still, this could be a contender for a future BodyJam track, no?

One plus point is that the song has driven out that incessant "ella, ella, eh eh eh" out of my head, which is a darn good thing. I just hope the ah-bengs would be so happy with JLo's return that they'd stop booming Beautiful Girls from speakers everywhere.

Oh yeah, this one seems to be a significant milestone for JLo, too. It is, I think, the first time a relationship she's in has actually lasted all the way into a second album (third, if you include the Spanish one released earlier this year). You go, girl! You're doin' it well!

15 Comments:

Janvier said...

Our sensitive sweet teeth were just twanging when we saw that Peanut Snowie.

Dammit still salivating!

adrien said...

heck, even amazon.com doesn't have that! why so the rare this volume.

ah Jlo. the only thing i remember her by is the young girl go "aaaahahah aaaahahah" with those earphones. oh, and her perfume.

Will said...

Wait, if Groo's younger than you, how come it appeared in your childhood?

OMG peanut butter ice kacang! No wonder you had to do triple threat classes.

Ganymede said...

Benny Lava¬¬¬ :P

Anyways you go tagged.

Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~geekchic

was i the one who intro you to 600cc? can't remember. their desserts are pretty OK. try the zhar jiang mien. love it. with pork floss. yummers =) and there's one herbal beef soup noodles, YUMMERS.

KTZ? Ptui! went there that day for desserts and the owner was a complete bitch.might return since my friends love it there but i ain't ever gonna spend another cent there. Bitch!

savante said...

Glad she's doing so well too! J Lo always looks like a nice gal.

Sam said...

OH. MY. GAWD. FOOD POST!!!!!!!!

(BTW, tagged you with a meme :P)

thompsonboy said...

Ughh...don't even bother with local book stores.

drownedglass said...

Janvier:
Just make sure you don't drip your drool around okay :P

adrien:
I don't know why. Maybe the publishers have lousy distribution network. Or they're going bust. Just like almost every other publisher that owned Groo (Groo really is bad luck. Hehe)

wingedman:
Like, duh. It appeared in my childhood because it didn't appear before my childhood, which makes it younger than me lah!

And NO, I'm NOT that old!

Queer Ranter:
Geez! This is what I get for doing your last meme :P

geekchic:
Nope. Not you. We were too busy getting sloshed at TGIF, remember?

savante:
Nice? Did you say "nice"?

Sam:
OH.MY.GAWD.YES!FOOD POST!
Like, my blog's literally peppered with food posts, you know. Hehe.

And man, you and Queer Ranter both. With.The.Same.Meme!

thompsonboy!
I know! It's so sad. Kinokuniya would be my last bastion of hope.
:(

joshua said...

I love the Peanut Milk though... and Orange Milk and err... stuff like that.

Can you imagine when I was younger (and had like RM2 allowance everyday), me and kengkawan had to save up and go for a splurge at 600cc on Fridays?

So kesian right?

pakcik said...

u should bought over the franchise and bring it to kl. probably we can do it together and be a business partner. and then open it next to j-co outlet.

i can take care of the business and muching my favourite donut everyday.. ha ha

thompsonboy said...

if all else fails...ebay.

drownedglass said...

joshua:
I was thinking, wow 600cc has been around that long? Then I realised that 'when you were younger' isn't really all that long ago.

pakcik:
Hmm... maybe I should!

Spot said...

Groo! And his scaredy cat dog! Now THAT's a blast from the past. Must remember to tell my brother...

Alex said...

Yes, thank goodness no Benny Lava at gym!