Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Balik Kalompor... Ohh, Balik Kalompor...

Hooray for holidays. While our muslim friends balik kampung, I myself balik ke Kalompor (as KL is known in Hokkien) for a weekend of catching up with friends. And what a long and lovely weekend to do catching up in.

Sure it rained like mad every afternoon, but tak apalah. Not like we were going picnicking in the gardens or anything. Hanging out in KL is pretty much a mall affair.

So, after being ketinggalan zaman for a while, I finally got to make my pilgrimage to the spanking new malls in town - Pavilion and The Gardens. Not gonna say much other than that the glamour of Pavilion was kinda brought screechingly down to the ground by all the uncles and aunties who must have decided to take advantage of the holidays to step out of their kampung baru cinas to visit the big city. And all the hunky gay men must have left the country for an early Songkran.

I liked the concept of The Gardens. Well, I liked the colour scheme anyway (earthy shades of green and brown being so me). But the execution of the idea left a lot wanting. And given the horrendously infamous location at Midvalley (good luck finding parking, that's if you actually make it through the traffic snarl outside), I'd need a real good reason to go back there anytime soon.

Guess it's still The Curve that remains as the hangout place to beat. It's got a gym, it's got cafes, it's got Borders (still no Groo, though) and it's got plenty of dining choices - enough to keep me happily occupied, spending my off-days like a tai tai. And, if all else fails, there is always Ikea.

Thanks to wingedman and qwazymonkey, and all my other friends for their time and their lovely company. Dinner at Jaq+Keith's was beautiful, as always. And, amidst all the reunion-ing, it was nice to manage getting to know a few new friends as well.

Well, tai tai days are over, and it's back to the grind for me now. At least I've managed to destress quite a bit and started work today feeling rather fresher than I've been for some time.

Being home really is good for the soul. Even if it's just for five days.

11 Comments:

pakcik said...

tai tai eh..haha. didnt know that you are one ;) n some more..who ask you to midvalley during public holiday??? aiyo.

David The Man said...

Well, I didn't go back to KaLompor during Raya. Only blog, blog, blog and blog day in day out at Starbucks. And the best thing is that I went clubbing with my friends on Saturday night (1st day of Raya, that is!)

By the way, I have bookmarked you, so do visit my blog and leave a comment or two there, ok, mate? Thank you and cheers!

Kit said...

well at least you got your dose of kl life. hey when's your next trip?

Will said...

Thanks for accompanying me on my neverending quest for more illumination in my life!

Pleased to be tai tai with u anytime!

thompsonboy said...

Ya allah, since I was accused for insulting your crabs (unintentionaly)...stop mooping about Groo. Plenty of em on ebay, cheap too like 50 bucks inclusive delivery. Comics like these you have a better chance of getting them from comic shops and not Borders la. There's one or two in TTDI.

Little Prince said...

YAYs!!!
i like gardens too. dun fancy pavilion that much. hate pyramids.
:o)

qwazymonkey said...

why does the link on my name links to tai-tai wingedman's blog?? makes me wonder...

drownedglass said...

pakcik:
Not one lah... just pretending to be while trying not to spend too much money :P

David the Man:
Hi David the Man. I'm glad you named yourself that way just in case, you know, people thought David is a woman...

:P

I'll be sure to check out your blog. Who knows, you may be blogging from across the corridor from where I am now!

Kit:
Already on my next trip. Hope to be back for Halloween though :-)

wingedman:
It was fun. I so should have become a drebar!

Oh fine. PILOT.

thompsonboy:
Ach. Shoulda told me earlier. I'm a long way from TTDI right now.

AND I DO NOT HAVE CRABS!

danielhenry:
Erm... didn't quite say I like Gardens wor... though I think the basement was kinda cool :P

qwazymonkey:
OOOPS! Sorry, darling, got that fixed. Didn't mean to upset our celebrity blogger/writer. Hehe.

Ganymede said...

I managed to visit both malls too. Nothing I can afford unfortunately... :(

*sob sob

Janvier said...

Awwwshucks we're sorry we didn't say hi!

asm@di said...

here's a bit of a confession: despite being a stone's throw away from my workplace, i've yet to go to pavillion. as for the garden, well, i'm dying to go to isetan there (which i think is the only "attraction" that make me want to go there)