Saturday, November 03, 2007

Life In The Wastelands

Don't you fret, M'sieur Marius, I don't feel any pain
A little fall of rain can hardly hurt me now

You're here, that's all I need to know

And you will keep me safe, and you will keep me close
And rain will make the flowers...
A Little Fall Of Rain (from Les Miserables)


It's just not funny. Project's dragging way past the due date and I've pretty much been stuck in this provincial town for almost half a year now. Sigh.


Alright, so it could be worse. At least this provincial town's got malls and wired coffee. And it's only a bridge away from a reasonably sized city. And oh, time does go by a little more quickly when you're cracking your pretty head over a game of Scrabulous. Or two. Or three. Or... a dozen.

In any case there's been time enough in my hands to get blogging a little more than usual, not to mention opportunities to get snaphappy. If you're wondering just what there is to shoot in the desolation of a wastewater treatment plant, well, not much. But, as they more or less said in Jurassic Park, life finds a way.


Wastewater treatment plants aren't just about getting the water clean enough to discharge out into the rivers and seas. Large enough plants actually form ecosystems of their own. I remember once, as a student, I visited Melbourne's Western Treatment Plant. Sure, there were places that stunk of rotting eggs. It's part of the process. What really impressed me was that, by the time the treatment reached the final stages, you'd find a wetland environment serving as haven for local and migratory birds.


In a nutshell, treating wastewater produces microbes, which go on to become a rich food source for higher organisms. Worms thrive, plants propagate, insects flourish. With enough of these around, even fish and birds will come along for the feast. And there we have it, a living habitat, generated from waste.


Indeed, rain will make the flowers grow.


10 Comments:

savante said...

Not to mention you have rural stuff - that seems to amuse you - to look at while you're there. Resign yourself to the serenity.

Janvier said...

Ahhh our second favourite song. 'On My Own' is our first. The number of times we've listened to both we cannot remember. So long as we don't end up like Eponine.

Will said...

And when I become Miss Universe, I shall promote world peace, and save the environment so our children can have a better future!

drownedglass said...

savante:
Alas, it's not quite rural nor urban enough :P

Janvier:
LOL. I've always liked any part where Eponine sings. I suppose I like my supporting characters tragic. Hehe

wingedman:
I suppose that's like, NEVER.

the ugly submarine said...

Hey, nice pictures! Especially the flowers from the last picture. Loved it! :)

David The Man said...

Nice little blog you wrote about how a living habitat froms from a seemingly lifeless wastewater. It has somewhat the same resemblance as to how a rural area can slowly transform itself into a town, then a city, and further developed into a metropolitan city. This is how Kuala Lumpur was developed, from the humble beginning of the "Muddy Estuary" area to a complex metropolitan city we know today.

By the way, you have been tagged... well... to do a meme... go check it out!

Spot said...

I like the Eponine parts best too. Best song - On My Own.
"On my own, pretending he's beside me"
Aigh, hati berkecai.

Great pictures.

Anonymous said...

liked the last pic...

Ganymede said...

Makes me proud to be a chemical engineer. :P

daniel henry said...

woahz... first and last pic... super the nostalgic...