Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Salad, Stolen

Once upon a time, I made a salad. No, not the kind meant for rabbits. A fruit salad. Of fruits, for... fruits.


Easiest dish I ever made, and as it turned out, it was a crowd pleaser at the pot luck where I had presented it. That was quite a while back, and I hear my salad's been making the pot luck rounds. Without me.

Humph. That's what I get for coming up with something that's easier to make than stewed pork and cabbages (and much healthier to eat too!). Okay, admittedly it wasn't quite an original idea. I simply picked up the idea from a Paddy's Pancakes dessert dish and did a drastic simplification of it.

Anyway, I figured I shouldn't keep something so simple and scrumptious all to myself (and who knows how many others who've been having it without me), so here the recipe for anyone who just needs to make something without much effort.


The what:

canned peaches in syrup
fresh strawberries
ripe bananas
roasted peanuts, unsalted

The how:
Drain syrup off the peaches.
Dice the peaches, strawberries and bananas into bite-sized chunks.
Crush the peanuts.
Toss everything together.



Voila! Shiong's Simply Summer Salad is served.

If it's too peasanty for you, you could always glam it up by substituting the peanuts with pine nuts, add some dollar pancakes, throw in some boys 'n berries with whipped cream on top, or perhaps sin it up with a scoop of ice cream...

Did I say boys 'n berries? Oops. I meant boysenberries. Haha, silly me...

Anyway, there's leftovers from the batch I made for dessert tonight, so looks like I'll be having a healthy, fruity breakfast tomorrow.

Well, healthy, if I can stop myself from dumping on dollops of the choc/vanilla ice cream that's in my freezer. But still fruity, nevertheless.

7 Comments:

adrien said...

oh gosh what's with this sudden wave of food posts? it doesn't help being the nocturnal reader - craving for food late in the morning when nothing can be obtained.

i shall give this a try. tomorrow i mean.

Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~geekchic

hey, i did the exact same thing before too, for a party. i also bought lady's choice fruit salad dressing to add in that touch of unhealthi-ness :P

the salted peanuts is a good touch, will try that next time :)

i also added in pears, apples (diced) as well as grapes (de-seeded and halved). lots of work but it was the only food that was finished at the party. i'd take it as a compliment :)

thompsonboy said...

Whats the dressing? Or u rather go "nude" on your salad?

Anonymous said...

nice...u shd do this more often...

savante said...

Good gracious! I mean arrange the food in the lovely manner that Nigella tosses them together!

Magus Young said...

im hungry liaw..lovely salad, think i'll make myself one today heheh

drownedglass said...

adrien:
LOL. So how was it?

geekchic:
Hmm... don't think salted peanuts are a very good idea. Use roasted, but UNSALTED :-)

thompsonboy:
It's nude, dude.

b:
LOL. It's a bit hard to finish when you're alone at home, so I only do this when I have company over :D

savante:
Erm. Whatever?

Magus_Young:
Haha. That's what you get for surfing blogs till 4:30 in the morning!