Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Teruk Things On Tuesday

The hash brown in the morning was probably the last happy thing to happen to me yesterday. After that, things just went downhill (figuratively) as I headed north (literally).

First of all, I hate the north stretch of the highway. Construction going on for most of the way, so traffic can be bad, and so can be the road itself. Worse still, none of these contractors nor the highway authorities give a hoot about safety and housekeeping, essential (though, in Malaysia, oft ignored) parts of any construction work.

Barricades not being lined up properly, insufficient notice of narrowing of lanes, dirt, stones and debris all over the place... the wonderful gray tarmac highway of Bolehland is now a national hazard traversing at least three states.

Anyway, somewhere along the way, on one of those single-lane stretches, a random stone flew off the wheel of the van I was stuck behind. It hit my windshield with a loud kuh-rack! And crack, my windshield did. Fuck. I've been only driving my baby for less than a year!

Luckily it was just a rather small crack, which didn't crack through, nor has it cracked across the windshield. Which means I can still drive my car around. Still, I still need to replace my windshield and we all know how much large pieces of good glass cost, especially bent ones. This is where I'm heaving a sigh of relief for having the foresight to insure the windshield and windows.

I thought I'd snap a pic of the crack on my handphone to show the insurance people. That was when I noticed the screen protector I had just bought for my phone on Sunday, was coming off. Damn! I'd be perfectly within my consumer rights to walk back to the shop and demand a free replacement. But then, I was halfway to the north and wouldn't be heading back to the valley for a few weeks. Grr...

Small problem compared to my car, though.

Well, I do have to give my thumbs up to the people of Perodua, from the salesman who had sold me my car to the staff at the service center. They were actually helpful, willing to answer questions, willing to consider options, and didn't give me the run around. Unlike so many companies in Malaysia who have no concept whatsoever of customer service.

So, despite not having all my car and insurance docs, they still managed to check my records out and will even help submit my claim. Now I just have to wait for the windshield stock to come in and get the repairs done.

Somewhere in all this, I totally forgot that bad things always come in threes. Well, I just noticed today that my back windshield wiper is gone. Not just the wiper, the whole arm contraption thingy.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

7 Comments:

Ganymede said...

Hot deng...

One incident after another...

Janvier said...

OMG. You poor thing! The whole wiper contraption, on top of everything else!?

Go drown everything in good food found only in the north. Things can only get better from here.

daniel henry said...

hmmp. hmmp. hmmp. well it could have been worst lo. smile smile smile. it's only a small matter. not worth getting your frowning muscles all worked up. that cost more to fix. ;o)

Stephen said...

Must be catching. Shortly after reading this, I broke the handle on my oven door and my iMac CD/DVD drive broke down.

drownedglass said...

Queer Ranter:
Yeah... kecelakaan loves company, you know :P

Janvier:
I think you mean things can only get fatter. Hehe

danielhenry:
True also. At least my windshield's insured, even if I still have to pay for the wiper thingy :-)

Stephen:
Oh dear. It's like Ring on a blog!

Anonymous said...

three good things are gonna come by before u know it...

drownedglass said...

They gonna come from you or not?
:-D