Friday, September 07, 2007

I Smell A Rat

Oddly enough, it seems rather fragrant.


Of course, I'm talking about that animated chef of a rat, Remy in Disney-Pixar's Ratatouille. And for a dish that sounds disturbingly like some guy hawking up and spitting out a huge wad of phlegm, the movie just makes me want to fly off to France just to eat that "simple peasant dish".

It's really a wonderful movie, one of the best I've seen this year, also one of the most original (not that hard, actually considering the whole string of disappointing sequels that got trotted out this year). It's everything you expect from a Pixar movie - cute, funny, entertaining, and full of heart. If the story of a country rat who dares to dream, chases that dream, and changes everyone's lives in the process doesn't get to you, the amazingly rendered fur just might.

But just try to ignore the fact that one of the characters is ridiculously named after a cheesy Italian pasta, which, somehow, seems less believable than a cooking rat. Perhaps Pixar had decided it was payback time for all those years of unfortunately named talking clocks and teapots.

Ratatouille is a movie best served warm, cuddling up on a comfy sofa with your loved one, with a cup of hot chocolate near at hand.

Have can you not want to go see such an adorable rat?

I'm loving it so much I wouldn't mind watching it again. And maybe one more time after that.

By the way, the short that precedes the movie is excellent (as usual).

10 Comments:

Unknown said...

cool...m gonna watch it 2nite :)

Ganymede said...

Hehheeh. Love the short film. Ingenius and hilarious. :P

Watched the movies three times already.

daniel henry said...

i still haven't gotten the chance to watch this movie yet... sighs!

but manage to catch invasion and was soooo shiok! haha.

Anonymous said...

i wanna watch it too! and try the damn soup...do u think it´s like ministrone?

coolgardy said...

Hi, just passing through...and may I compliment your nicely written blog...

Cyclohelix said...

nice one, and how on earth they managed to script that intricate critic's review at the end of the flick?

drownedglass said...

soloact:
Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did :-)

Queer Ranter:
Three times! Wow. I need to catch up with you ;-)

danielhenry:
Now how did you manage to catch the short without watching the main feature?

b:
Yeah. I suspect the soup's full of vege and herbs and a small chance of there being some fish or seafood in it... definitely creamy type and not tomato type... you should hop over to Paris and find out how to make that! Hehe..

coolgardy:
Thanks! I'm always willing to accept compliments. Cheques are even more welcome :-D

cyclohelix:
*Gasp*

I KNEW I should stayed till the end of the credits! Maybe I really need to go watch it again then...

daniel henry said...

... i managed to "catch" as in watch the invasion... nicole kidman's movie le...

Unknown said...

Indeed! hilariously nicely scripted.

drownedglass said...

danielhenry:
Oops! My bad. Got my aliens mixed up :P

soloact:
Glad you liked it