Monday, August 13, 2007

Jubilation And All That

Sixty. I cannot imagine so many years. But there we have it - sixty.

Mom had a quiet little weekend celebration with close friends and family (though unfortunately, while both her natural sons made it home, only one of her four inherited kids managed to be there). It was a pleasant affair. Non-stop eating. As usual.

But, sixty!

Makes me think that I really need to show more love and appreciation to the folks. Well, I'm always telling myself that anyway.

At the age I'm at now, mom was already raising two children (one of whom was purportedly a terrible tyke), while juggling being both a teacher and a housewife - jobs which were somehow both full-time. Quite incredible, really, since I look at myself and see a guy who can barely take care of himself much less keep a nice home and a happy family. Or at least a clean home and a well-fed family (close enough).

It's amazing how our parents pulled off all that they did. How they managed to manage.

In contrast, I still feel like a doddering kid. Even though I'm already past my thirtieth.

Is this how things really are? Are we all really just big kids simply putting on an adult mien and adopting grown-up behaviour in the hopes that it would eventually rub off? Or is it just me, one foot snagged in the brambles of Neverland?

I may never know for sure. So I guess I'll just have to dodder my way through this life any which way I can.

And, who knows? I might be in as nice a place as my mom is now when I get to be sixty.

...

Not that I'm ready to be sixty.

4 Comments:

Ganymede said...

Our parents had to do what they had to do and when the time comes, we will do what he have to do.

Everyone manages one way or another. Just how well it is managed, that's another question. :)

savante said...

Thought much the same when my mom celebrated her 60th last month :) Good God. Our moms are both teachers too. Do they know each other?

Uhh.. why inherited kids btw?

drownedglass said...

Queer Ranter:
Yeah and that's the question that I can't answer :P

savante:
Doubt they did, but who knows eh?

Wandernut said...

"One foot snagged in the brambles of Neverland?"
- Nice. And very true for me too.