Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Give It To Me In C Minor, Please

I was gonna write a merdeka post as I've been wont to do the past few years, but then apathy set in and the rest, as they say, is sejarah.

So, I'm gonna turn my attention to something I have a little more passion for - music. Meaning, I'm gonna rip off Queer Ranter's song meme and fill in all the wierd and obscure lyrics I love so much. Hey, you just might even recognise one or two!

1. I know it's late, I shouldn't call at this hour. But yet, my fate, I need lips to devour.
[ Sleep - Conjure One feat. Marie-Claire D'ubaldo ]

2. I am milk. I am red hot kitchen.
[ Milk - Garbage ]

3. Hush, hush. Don't tell me cos it hurts.
[ Don't Speak - No Doubt ]

4. Everytime I get my hopes up, they always seem to fall. But what could've been is better than what could never be at all.
[ Could've Been - Tiffany ]

5. Have I been blind? Have I been lost inside myself and my own mind? Hypnotised, mesmerised but what my eyes have seen?
[ Carnival - Natalie Merchant ]

6. I'm trying to control myself, so please don't stand in my way.
[ Shattered - The Cranberries ]

7. There's nothing to do but believe. Just believe.
[ Breathe - Telepopmusik ]

8. I'm high enough from all the waiting, to ride a wave on your inhaling.
[ Breathe In - Frou Frou ]

9. Ooh eeh ooh ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang
[ Witch Doctor - David Seville ]

10. All the lonely hearts in London caught a plane and flew away
[ Supreme - Robbie Williams ]

11. Late at night, I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need
[ Holding Out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler ]

12. This is the book I never read, these are the words I never said. This is the path I'll never tread, these are the dreams I'll dream instead. This is the joy that's seldom spread, these are the tears, the tears we shed. This is the fear, this is the dread, these are the contents of my head.
[ Why - Annie Lennox ]

13. Butterflies are free to fly and so they fly away.
[ Always On Your Side - Sheryl Crow ]

14. Snip by snip, I'm losing it bit by bit.
[ Caught In A Moment - Sugababes ]

15. I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why, why, why can't it be... why can't it be mine?
[ Black - Pearl Jam ]

16. Autour de moi je ne vois pas qui sont les anges, sûrement pas moi
[ Paradise (Not For Me) - Madonna ]

17. I ran from my house that cannot contain me. From the man that I cannot keep.
[ Mer Girl - Madonna ]

18. Our love is swollen. Made of the quietest shade of loud.
[ Swollen - Bent ]

19. When you know the notes to sing, you can sing most anything
[ Do Re Mi - Julie Andrews; also used by Madonna in 'Deeper and Deeper' ]

20. So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing.
[ Thank You For The Music - Abba ]

So there you have it. Some of the songs that have caught my interest over the years. And I really do mean over the years. Song titles and artistes are between the square brackets. Really.

Well, hope this brings some of you down memory lane. Or, which is the more likely, get you wondering just what kind of songs these are.

By the way, the post title's also a line from a version of one of the above songs :P

Have a good week, all. And to my fellow countrymen, a great merdeka weekend!

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

i only got 4 out of 20... susahnya

You too have a great week! cheers

Janvier said...

Recognize but didn't know name/artist for 9. Got only 19 and 20. :S

Happy Hols!

drownedglass said...

JL:
Hehe. Well, it's not meant to be a test anyway. I just have rather offbeat tastes in music. I'd be surprised if anyone can figure out even half of them :P

Janvier:
I'm impressed that you cold recognise #9. That's one of the most obscure ones listed! I didn't even know he original singer until I looked it up, but i did know a cover version of it :)

And you got 19 and 20 as well. Proves that you're the same generation as me.

Anonymous said...

im sure the celebration in KL is gonna be massive...

say hi to the PM for me...

:p

savante said...

Alamak what is the walla walla bing bang song?

19. Hey this is like somewhere in the middle of the song! It's somewhere in Do Re Mi in Sound of Music

20. Of course Thank You for the Music by Abba :P

William said...

Very clever to shade the answers like that!

I sued to memorize the french lyrics of Madonna's Paradise. :P

Kit said...

oh how could you not include the rainbow connection? it's in your profile and all yes, but for this particular day, it needs to be here. if anything, i think that song is very patriotic. ha ha have a great weekend.

drownedglass said...

b:
Sure will...
Hi, Pa! Hi, Ma!

savante:
It's from the Sha Na Na era. Do you know a song that goes "I like short shorts" then?

19. Yeah it is. But I usually think of it as the first line in Deeper & Deeper :P

William:
Thanks but I stole the idea from Androjane, who did this a long, long time ago.

Kit:
Haha. Yah hor. Though I think 'Never Been To Me' and 'I Will Survive' would be even more patriotic. Or at least very flag-waving :P

Kit said...

took the hand of a preacher man and we made love in the sun?

drownedglass said...

Yep. THAT one :D

Spot said...

Got 3, 9, 12, 19 and 20. Recognised 13, but didn't know it was by a real artiste and not just the theme song of that crappy series that was on everynight on Star World some months ago.

Have you ever heard of 10,000 Maniacs? It's Natalie Merchant's old band. Used to have the cassete, but lost it...and can't find the songs digitally.

drownedglass said...

Tompok! Nice to hear from you.

Sure I've heard of them though I can only remember Because The Night.

I have a feeling you got more than most anyone else here though ;-)