Thursday, October 12, 2006

Lovely Days

Oh how lovely day! The prefect ambient of romantic air with the shrouderly smog. Little friends! Let's outgoing for gay play.


Just spent the last four days driving around Johor. I can definitely report that the haze does not discriminate. It stretches from the central valley all the way to the southern straights. Admittedly, it's less thick down in the south. But I didn't quite appreciate driving around in such conditions, my little attempt at writing a pencil case saying as above notwithstanding.

Here's how it looked on the way down, Monday:

Putrajaya 170
Putrjaya, API ~170

Seremban 170
Seremban, API ~170

Malacca 100
Malacca, API ~100

JB 70
Johor Bahru, API ~70

Well, to take a break from the monotony of the haze, I decided to change the hazardous driving conditions around a bit the next day. OK, so I didn't decide it, it just happened.

And what happened was a sudden downpour. Actually it was more of a sidepour, the way the wind was gusting. Yes, the whole braches-falling-and-roof-tiles-flying works.

storm on a screen
Oh, please! It's just a.. a drizzle!

Well good thing the drizzle didn't last too long because I had to go venture off the well-tarred road and onto hard dirt.

ER Road #1
Just red earth and stones and oil palms. Lots and lots of oil palms.

ER Road #2
The dirt road went on for miles and miles and miles...

ER Road #3
26 kilometers, to be exact. ONE WAY.

Incidentally, I was already halfway to a national park by the time I hit my destination.

Anyway, fun as it was driving and breathing in all that haze, I'm glad to be back. It's still hazy but at least I don't have to spend entire days driving through it. They say it will clear up soon. They'd better be right. For once.

11 Comments:

AJ said...

Oh how i long for the stuffy air of Johor!

Oh take me home.. where the buffalo roam, and the dear & antigoats play!

Will said...

LOL you BP bitches just make me laugh.

"It's just a...a drizzle or something!"

savante said...

What kinda work do you do? I am starting to think you're a travelling salesman! :)

Jay said...

Aiyoh yam kong, so smoggy. And summore have to go to Johor!

Kihu said...

uhmnn welcome to my hometown eh (JB)! well it seems the photo of JB was taken at Jalan Tebrau eh!

Anonymous said...

Hey....welcome to JB! My home for the past er.... many, many years. Did you try the famous southern dish of 'kuay teow kia' or some call it 'kuay chap'? Also, the beef ball noodle? Yum........

Jay said...

I can't believe you actually stopped your car to take pictures, even in the middle of a downpour!

Dedikatednya!

drownedglass said...

AJ:
LOL. Balik kampung for Raya or not?

wingedman:
OMG. You called me a bitch?!

savante:
I'm an engineer! Though what I do is no different from a travelling salesman la. Sigh

Justin:
Hello! Eh, Johor isn't that bad a place ok. It produced fab people like me and AJ! :P

FamezGay:
Oh yes, it was Jalan Tebrau, alright. Could you have been in one of those cars in front of me?

genieqt:
Haven't 'kuay chap' in years! You can't find it in KL and even in Johor it's not that easily available :(

Note to self - next time I go home, go have 'kuay chap'. Hehe.

Jay:
Who said anything about stopping the car to take pictures? :P

Ryan said...

kuay chap is in abundance in Penang! Didn't you have any when you were up here?

drownedglass said...

ryan:
IS IT? Damn! I've always thought of it as a southern thing. Anyway, if I did have it Penang, you would have seen a pic of it :P

Sam said...

Oh it'll clear alright. But it'll be back. It always comes back.