Sunday, December 03, 2006

Eating Words (& Other Fun Stuff)

Sometimes, a long while isn't quite that long. Wasn't it just last week that I said I wasn't gonna bring my notebook out anytime soon?

Well, granted that I didn't know then that the PC Fair would be in town. So instead of bringing it to go sit in a cafe to (hopefully) attract the attention of gorgeous gymbag-toting technogadget-loving men of the same sex persuasion, I did the next best thing - I took my notebook shopping!

Must say I've never actually been to any PC Fair before this but this one's definitely huge and packed with people. Kinda felt like a kid let loose in a candy store. External hard drives! Flash drives! FM modulators! Printers! Sound systems! Cool cooling systems! They really do have everything in there - and many at pretty good prices too.

I was tempted to get a modulator, which is a kind of gadget that allows you to hook up a flash drive, fit the modulator into the car DC power supply (the part where there's a knob with a picture of a cigarette on it, though I don't know anyone, smokers included, who ever use that to light their cigarettes, much like there are still ashtrays in the car which are almost always used to keep coins, sweet wrappers and bits of fluff; but I digress...) and the modulator would then transmit a radiowave to your car so you can play all the music stuffed in your thumbdrive through your car radio. Who needs CD changers these days? A basic unit only costs less than $50 though the one that was priced over $100 had cool features like an LCD screen, song randomisation function, and yes, it looks real pretty.

I would have bought the basic unit. The only thing that stopped me was the fact I didn't buy it there and then, and believe me, backtracking to where you first found something you wanted isn't really an option.

What I did buy were some DVD-R's so that I could finally burn that FMA movie for my friends. And of course, to archive some of the more interesting movies I found, of questionable nature or otherwise. Ahem.

I also got my notebook a new companion in the form of a 2 GB flash drive. To think I can like, share a whole movie with my friends without having to burn a DVD. Hehe. Oh wait. So now I don't have to actually burn the DVDs for them? Erm.

The other thing I was considering was one of those all-in-one printers. The thing is, I don't really have anywhere to put it. Also, I barely use printers at home - maybe like once or twice a year. I've been getting by on the goodwill of people such as, well, Good Will, who was considerate enough the other day to be not in London or somesuchplace, when I had a very last minute printjob to execute. Well, that's what friends are for anyway.

In any case, that little consideration was thrown out the window the moment I found something better to throw my money at, namely this. I honestly didn't think I'd get a backpack of this quality for a price that's less than an all-in-one printer (and please don't tell me if I didn't get a good deal anyway, not after buying Absolute Sandman and seeing the book go on sale a few weeks later... and oh, the bag's cheaper than Absolute Sandman after discount so I'm taking that to be my consolation). It is a Targus after all, and it's really well-designed, what with plenty of storage and compartments and being all properly padded, the better to protect my notebook with, and all that.

So yes, my notebook now has a cool bag to travel in, you know, for all those times I'm not bringing it out.

Everybody say it together now: A gay and his money are soon parted!

Amen.

13 Comments:

Sam said...

Ooooh... so that's how you get the music from the thumbdrive to the car!

coolgardy said...

Hi there, just dropping by your Blog and wanna tell you that I learnt something new about the thumbdrive...and of course, enjoyed myself reading all of your stories.

AJ said...

A gay and his money are soon parted!

Har Har! It doesn't matter where it's spent, it disappears faster than you can make it!

Anonymous said...

you are what you wear... and now your metal baby is going to travel in style. Vogue beb...

daniel henry said...

ooohh... so... to spot you is to spot that bag huh... great... i like hunting clues...

Legolas said...

I never can keep my money. Car, rental, bills, and the ever-increasing-never-ending-bottomless credit card to pay.

I need sugar daddy. Preferably young and handsome.

Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~geekchic

Oh, that IS a great backpack! :) I know how pricey notebook bags are (especially those nicely padded ones) so I begged one from our admin :D she sneaked one vr nice one to me. It sports our company logo but aiyah, that's a small price to pay :)
I'm looking for a briefcase-like bag for my notebook so that it'd go well with my outfits when i go to work. looks damn odd that I have a backpack dressed in a dress and heels :P

savante said...

Hey, I have the Targus bag too. Wouldn't it look more fabulous with a Fendi? :)

You are so right with the gay and his money.

Will said...

Yay! FullmetalAtlast! Unfortunately I wasn't there in time to save you from buying a Targus *rolleyes*

I trust your taste enough to assue it's not too bad-looking. It's just that I have a deep mistrust of notebook bags which look like...notebook bags. They just scream "SNATCH ME!".

Jay said...

A bag is NEVER a waste of money! My backpack is also a notebook bag and it's lovely.

Well, for carrying magazines anyway, since I don't really take my computer anywhere.

darn ed said...

yes, i know i'm whacked tat way but tat "when I had a very last minute printjob to execute" seems very naughty. oopss ..

anyway.. went to a PC fair a few months back and yes, good deal and all but urghh .... like there's a big lump of people everywhere..urggh..

loopy said...

It's nice to find someone who's into FMA as well. It's one of the best series I've watched and the movie is not too bad as well.

The manga's still going awfully slow though...

drownedglass said...

Sam:
Yep. It's relatively low-cost and you no longer need to keep CD's in the car :D

coolgardy:
Well hello! Thanks for dropping by. Did I actually say anything new about thumbdrives? :P I'm only 'half-pail of water' actually, so the info's only accurate up to a certain point. But I'm glad you found something useful here.

AJ:
Worse. You somehow end up spending more than you make!

JL:
LOL. Well, I'm still thinking I may not bring it out too much. Plus, now there's two choices - the regular notebook bag for business, and the backpack for casual. Choices, choices...

danielhenry:
Oops. Well, I'm sure they sold quite a few of those bags during the PC Fair so I won't be the only one in town carrying it. Besides, it's not a flashy bag that would stand out in a crowd :P

geekchic:
Such perks! I used to get free shampoo when I worked with a toiletries manufacture. Now probably the only free thing I can get is shit. Like, LITERALLY.

Paul:
I know how gays are with Fendi, but personally it's a little too tai tai for me. I prefer street cred to lux, which is just as well, considering it's hard enough for me to pay for all that street cred :P

wingedman:
Honey, first of all, IT'S A BACKPACK! What part of backpack looks like a notebook bag?

Besides, Targus has a reputation for making notebook bags, so the notebook's about as safe as it can be inside a bag. It's no Crumpler but then again it still looks nice enough, despite prioritising function over form. Also, even my biggest critic of what looks good gave his thumbs up.

BTW, did you not look at the photo?

Jay:
Honestly, if the backpack was roomier, I'd probably use it for gym more than for the laptop :P

ed:
True about the big lump of people. Talk about one huge heaving mass of life. Or as Will likes to say, the hoi polloi.

I know printers today can sound sexy what with the scan/fax/copy functions and the xxx dpi resolutions... but what is it about printjobs that's turning you on? /:)

loopy:
Hi and welcome! Yeah I fell in love with the manga so I searched out the series and fell even more in love with that. Haha. Movie's only OK in comparison but at least it resolves the story a little :)