Thursday, December 21, 2006

Apparently I've Been Misinterprating 'Local' All This While

In the news today - a supposedly upbeat piece about relaxing of rules for foreign ownership of property here. I have nothing against opening up of markets if it would lead to greater competition and better quality.

But wait. Here's what a minister had to say about ensuring local citizens remain protected:

... there will be protection for locals as there will still be bumiputra allocations and discounts.
Excerpt from The Star, 21 Dec 2006.

Forgive me if I don't find that reassuring. In fact, I feel quite the opposite. And it has nothing to do with foreigners buying property here.

It's just that I'm horribly concerned about my loss of recognition as a rightful citizen of the land I call home.

8 Comments:

savante said...

Shocked? Nah... I am just sadly resigned.

Anonymous said...

O_o he really said that... that's very 'assuring'.

'Nor Mohd said Malaysia was becoming more and more liberal...'
ya 'rite'!

Stephen said...

Just missing the word 'some' before locals?

Probably just a throwaway remark, perhaps aimed at those most likely to complain about allowing foreign investment... but I did read the news while in Malaysia and I'm aware that this follows a number of similar stories.

Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~geekchic
You, me, everyone non-bumi is pendatang. case closed. question it no more. I don't dare question it too. I don't want my morning and afternoon coffee taken away :P

bRed said...

hmm u moved? hmm why? i didnt know u moved...

ash said...

yay! let's all migrate to the other end of the rainbow. this end's pot of gold is just not for us.

Anonymous said...

-Jay exhibits no surprise whatsoever-

Screw 'em.

darn ed said...

another stinking diarrhea from another idiot but yeah, hardly shocking. afterall, we are goin to have rempits as our future leaders ...