Saturday, December 09, 2006

My First Time

Somehow first times are mostly overrated. I mean, just how many people out there remember their first step on one foot, or their first word. And if ever those giant-leap moments were ever captured by ever-attentive parents on their ever-present camcorder, well, most of us would probably be embarassed to see that tape being pulled out year after year.

First kiss? First fuck? Well,undoubtedly memorable, but honestly, only the lucky ones have it memorable for the right reasons.

Still, every once in a while there comes really great first moments - like the first time I drove a car as a licensed driver, which was a pretty proud moment especially since I got my license earlier than most of my friends being a March baby and all.

Here's another 'first' to make it into my book of good memories:

After they’d lugged the components to my room, Skinhead and Younger Guy offered to put it together for me, which was not part of the deal. Naturally, I jumped at it and in short order, everything was set up.

“All we need is a bedsheet,” I said.

“No we don't,” said Skinhead with a wink. He proceeded to pull me to him, while Younger Guy – exhibiting no hesitation whatsoever – whipped off my shorts with remarkable skill. And for the next hour or so, in the name of research, we vigorously tested every part of the bed, from the headboard (strong) to the frame (sturdy) to the mattress (springy).

On that cold December morning, my new bed was christened over and over again.

In case you're wondering, that wasn't about the first bed I bought. In fact, it wasn't even my bed. That was my first Jay. Possibly the first blog I ever read, and what luck, it turned out to be one that was full of creativity, wit and gaily-skewed perspective. Definitely one of the best blogs I've been reading. And I've been reading it for a good two years now, which, by no coincidence whatsoever, has been almost the same amount of time I've been blogging.

Happy Blogiversary, Jay darling! It's been a fabulous two years with you around, no doubt about it ;-)

Anyone up for a 'My First Jay' meme? Consider yourselves tagged :-)

4 Comments:

Jay said...

Oh God, I think I'm going to cry. I'm glad I didn't read this before I wrote my post.

drownedglass said...

Oh God -holds back tears-

Glad I posted this before you did too! Funny - I was gonna put down 'many happy returns' but then thought the better of it.

Jay dear, you have my best wishes and my full support. Now git and go on being fab!

savante said...

OMG. You wrote this just at the end... OMG... I'm holding back tears too but I'm glad Jay knows that he left us with some smiles :)

Little Prince said...

no i don't have a smile with me. :(