Friday, November 17, 2006

Gaiman. Dreambook. VERY Poor But Still Happy

Since the day I first stumbled upon Neil Gaiman's Sandman among the shelves of the Rowden White, I've known if there was any comic series to collect, this was it.

Well, many many years after, I've finally bought my first volume. Not the regular first volume, mind you, but the first Absolute volume. Drooool....



I just have one gripe about this, so let me get that out of the way - it's fucking expensive! It practically costs double the normal collection, which, by the way, already costs more than other collected comic series. Man, when I say I'm paying for my indulgence, I mean it literally!

Yes, as Will had said, that's the whisper of very expensive pages.

So why did I part with my money so easily?

Other than the obvious 'fool' answer, of course.

The long explanation is this: This is definitely a collector's item, and being one of those many out there who consider this work as one that has taken the comics genre up to the hallowed status of literature, I simply had to have it.

The Sandman is oooh so good. With a great depth of emotion, layered storytelling, fantastic plot twists, and strands of world mythology weaved into something totally new, Gaiman did for comics what Tolkien did for the fantasy novel (though I kinda hate how he inadvertently started the whole trilogy thing which seems to be multiplying like rabbits).

I could go on and on, really. But either you already know of Gaiman or you don't, and if you don't, you could go sample Sandman by downloading the 1st issue for free here. Mind you, Sandman #1 was all about setting up the story and it's not nearly as good as what follows.

Besides being one of the best stories ever told (in my opinion, but it's also my blog so my opinion's the only thing that matters here), it's also packaged very nicely. Like, to make you think you're getting value for money and all that. And yes, in case it wasn't clear enough in my last post, I really am a sucker for pretty things.



Absolute Sandman Volume 1 really is as heavy as the name would suggest. Quality paper bound in a hardcover reminiscent of my mom's Encyclopedia Britannica set. A slip cover to protect the cover - it may only be cardboard but it's really thick cardboard. It's a wonder they didn't throw in a plastic sleeve to protect the slip cover - now that would be value for money!



To impress the collector even more, they've recolored it. And thrown in Gaiman's original proposal, evolution sketches of the look for Sandman, and the script for the award-winning Issue #19 with the original pencilling by the very good Charles Vess, who also did Gaiman's Stardust (check out his work for Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall).

So yeah, that was my long-winded explanation for getting the book.

Here's the short version - I'm a whore!

20 Comments:

savante said...

You bought it! You bought it! You bought it! That freaking heavy few hundred dollars book that I've been staring at in Kino!

EEEP!

savante said...

Isn't it odd to think that we both go Kino so often that I might have bumped into you dozens of times?

Jay said...

May I confess something? I've only ever read a few issues of Sandman.

-shields eyes from the force of weeshiong's scorn-

There are just too many issues! I don't like to start reading something that I can't possibly finish - and it's just too expensive for that too happen.

But I think the biggest reason is that... well, I don't like the artwork. The covers are lovely, but the interior stuff...

I'll shut up now before you pelt me with dung.

daniel henry said...

ahhh... i likes the short version better... hahahaha...

Sam said...

No wonder Paul is so crazed to find Snowfalls. And now Sandman too. =P

savante said...

Not to mention weeshiong grabbed that last copy out of my hands! I have to wait for the reorder. Double fuck! I want my sexy Mowgli!

Paul

drownedglass said...

savante:
Yes yes yes! I debated with myself for an hour but eventually I caved in. But I didn't expect Sandman to be sold out so soon! Sure are lotsa fools in KL. Hehe.

By the way I didn't buy the last copy, OK. There were at least 4 or 5 left. And also, it's doubtful I'd bump into you in Kino considering your off days are so unlike most of us office drones.

And Paul... MOWGLI???

Jay:
I actually agree with you. I wouldn't have read Sandman in its entirety had I not been reading library copies! :P

And yes, the interior artwork's pretty much run-of-the-mill comic stuff... it was the story more than anything else that go me hooked. However, go check out 1001 Nights of Starfall - now those are works of art (I remember at least one story being done in watercolour).

I can't say if it will be your cup of tea, but rather than buy it, see if you can beg, borrow or steal it - cos it's got a great buildup and a daring climax. And in between, there are gems of standalone stories as well.

danielhenry:
Oh you actually read the long version? Haha

Sam:
LOL. Yes, we're geeks. Now you know :P

executorlouis said...

Oh. My. God.

Beautiful. Gorgeous. Stunning. Absolutely.

Must. Buy. Book.

Anonymous said...

Does it cost an arm & a leg?

I always love The Endless, especially Delirium.

daniel henry said...

sorry babe. dun think too highly of yourself... thou i like clicking to your link like everyday... i dun read them... unless... it's really fabulous... or... i'm dead bored... so for this case... i didn't... =) just the ending... hahaha... which i felt... was way better than those long words... heh.

savante said...

Meant that the Fables 1001 Nights was sold out, not Sandman. And that mowgli is hawt!

Sam said...

Paul is starting to advertise this book to me, asking me to read. We went to Borders today and again he's babbling incoherently about Sandman and Snowfalls.

Looks like I must get a copy to actually understand what's happening with you geeks.

Spot said...

*hyperventilating*

....
....

I read about this collection...din realise it's SO PRETTY.

Wish they rendered the Key to Hell (on the spine) a bit more accurately though...would be most cool.

I hear the sound of wings. (on the notes in my wallet, stirring)

Aiiiieeeee!!!

What's your favourite story arc? Mine's Brief Lives.

Must get Snowfall too....aiieeeee!

Anonymous said...

Baaarghh! Oh, you cursed marketing machines! Will you ever leave me alone??!!! - he cried as he hugged his crumbly original Sandmans.

Is it only Preludes & Nocturnes in that gorgeous hardcover? Coz if they're including the Charles Vess piece it would be Dream Country as well. How much exactly is it? I wonder if Borders will get it, I dread going all the way into KL just to visit Kino...

joshua said...

Is it weird for me to think that the book is SEXY?

drownedglass said...

Louis:
LOL. We're all such loyal contributors to the Gaiman Pension Fund.

JL:
An arm, a leg, and very nearly a whole penis.

I love Del!

danielhenry:
Oh that's quite alright. I feel exactly the same way about your blog!

Paul:
For the life of me, I can't recall Mowgli ever appearing in either Sanman or Snowfall. I'm confused :P

Sam:
OMG. Don't start. You don't wanna be sucked in like the rest of us!

Actually, please do. I'm always pleased to see more fools like me. Hehe

Spot:
It's been so long since I read it that I don't remember too much of the details. But definitely I loved the Kindly Ones story arc. It was the climax of the entire series, after all, and he pulled off all the twists so shockingly well.

I also loved some of the self-contained stories, as well as those featuring Delirium (I love how she goes off on tangents).

Cassiel:
Unlike the original collections, Absolute Sandman will be done in 4 volumes. This first one collects issues 1 to 20 - essentially Preludes and Nocturnes, The Doll's House, and Dream Country.

joshua:
Perhaps just a tad weird. I'd be more worried about the stains on such an expensive book.

Anonymous said...

OUCH!... that's alot LOL

William said...

My brother refuses to bring back his issues of Sandman for me to read and I'm too cheap to buy them. Hmmph.

I'm waiting for "Fragile Things"'s paperback to come out. Did you read "Anansi Boys"?

savante said...

Yo, Mowgli was in Fables - didn't appear in Snowfall unfortunately.

Will said...

You whore, i whore, we all whore for gaiman.