Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Eating My Way Up

Warning: This post may not be suitable for those who are currently hungry and without immediate access to food; or those Malaysians who have been living overseas for way too long :P

My latest trip to the northern states proved to be a food odyssey of sorts. I ended up taking pictures of almost everything I ate. Don't know what the locals must have thought as I surreptitiously took photos of my meals with my phone. Here are the pictures...

bidor duck noodles

Duck noodles froom Bidor. Wouldn't make a detour off the main road just to taste this but it's good enough to stop by if you're in the area. Love the herbal soup!

I had a photo of the Ipoh kai si hor fun but it's gone now. Must have accidentally deleted it. The best ever hor fun I've had was in Ipoh - and I don't normally like the stuff. Unfortunately, the one I had this round wasn't even nice. So losing the pic wasn't a big loss la.

penang char kuey tiao

One of the first things I had in Penang. Char kuey tiao. A definite must have!

nasi kandar, pelita

Penang nasi kandar. Pretty good stuff. This one's from the Pelita franchise.

curry mee

When Jay said I should go for Penang laksa, I had this. For midnight supper, no less. The curry soup wasn't bad, though having chunks of pig blood floating around in it made it rather dodgy. The hawker centre was amazingly packed, even at that late hour in the middle of the week. Guess Penangites must really enjoy eating!

It was only about an hour later that I remembered that curry mee was not Penang laksa! Darn, another meal to be added back into my list.

nasi kandar, line clear

Nasi kandar again! My pal Jono told me that I simply had to eat at least once at Line Clear, so I googled up the name and found that it was only about a block away from where I was holed up. Of course I had to try! The food is pretty good, with the curries being more subtle in flavour compared to the usual overpoweringly poppy-laced curries most nasi kandar places serve up.

penang laksa

Now THIS is penang laksa! The laksa was good, but I love the retro-style bowl it was served up in even more :)

penang prawn noodles

This one's on behalf of Louis - Hokkien mee, aka Penang prawn noodles. Mind you, I had to eat both this and the penang laksa above for a single lunch just to fit it all into my schedule. I'm kinda glad I didn't get more suggestions about what I should eat :P

kajang satay

And you thought I ought to have eaten enough. But when I got back to the valley, I decided I should have yet another 'local' specialty - Kajang satay. Thank goodness I didn't have to drive all the way to Kajang to get this.

guava and piah

Of course, I also bought stuff back to fatten everyone else up share in the pleasures. So like some demented cross between Santa and Chef Wan, I ended up distributing Tapah guavas and Penang tau sar peah to cousins, colleagues and friends. Munch munch munch.

Sometimes, travelling for work really isn't that bad at all :P

11 Comments:

Xavier said...

i was looking at the curry mee real hard and wondering, since when penang laksa changed look??!?!?

haha

any, hail to tau sar pia!! u didn boughtthe beh ti pia ah? that's nice too

savante said...

I want laksa and curry mee!!!! boo hoo!!

ash said...

:) didn't send me into a flurry compulsive need to go to penang. But looks good lah. Didn't you had dim sum there? :(

dammit, the comments couldn't log me in again for like, 329349283 times! I'm starting to think you don't want me here.

ISHK!!!!!

Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~geekchic

Hah. GLad you had loadsof fun eating. Where'd you go for Ipoh HOR FUN? Must ask the born-and-bred ipoh girl la! :)

Anonymous said...

i'm fasting and i'm hungry and looking at pictures of foods is not helping at all! arrghhh.

now i have this craving to eat char kuey tiaw (i always wonder how much calories is in a plate of char kuey tiaw)

Jay said...

-sob- I saw your warning and I still continued reading.

Now going to go make some chau fan be happy with it and try not think too much about your assam laksa. Or char kuey teow.

-sob-

Or that nasi kandar.

executorlouis said...

*slurp* =p

drownedglass said...

xavier: Actually, yes I did buy the beh teh saw :P

paul: Well, you can get decent laksa and curry mee in kl too, y'know.

ash: Dim sum? Good thing you didn't say that earlier. -mental note to self: go eat dim sum this weekend-

geekchic: Had it in some random coffeeshop in town la. Yeah, next time I should ask you!

asm@di: Buka puasa with Sate Kajang Hj Samuri! Da best in town! Muahaha... sounds like I'm promoting them.

Don't bother counting the calories on char kuey tiaw la. You won't be able to finish.

Jay: -pats Jay on the head-

I hear you make mean chau fan though ;)

executorlouis: Hah! That's for making me slurp with every other post you put up with all those pictures of prettily arranged food :P

Anonymous said...

Amboi....sedapnyaaaaaaaaaaa.....dah-lah time puasa,mencabar iman.....anyway, hope u had great time.! m

mt said...

My friends and I drove from KL to Kedah and went to all the places you mentioned ;)

It's fun to just sample so many lip-smacking meals, no?

Alfred said...

i m not even sorry for reading ur post despite i have gotten hungry & i m overseas! nonetheless, just strengthens my cause to go to Penang when I go back to My.