Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Cities Of The North


It seems like much of the travelling I do these days is for work. I was visiting Ipoh and Penang a week ago. Tomorrow, I'll be off again - this time, to a "peaceful" land (read what you will into that).

Now, all this travelling for work may sound like some fancy jetsetting life but trust me, it's far from it. First of all, I barely go anywhere by flying. And when I do, it's ALWAYS by budget air. Secondly, there's nothing fancy about my destinations. Penang is probably the best place I can look forward to visiting. And of course, travelling for work is really about work. So there's no such thing as going sightseeing and such except for whatever I might be able to squeeze into the evenings.

So it was that my trip to Ipoh was packed with meetings. Across half the state, in fact. Definitely didn't have time to stop for any sights, natural or otherwise. I decided to spend the night in the refurbished station. Poor choice, because the rooms weren't as refurbished as the exterior. Of course, if dodgy uncles roaming the garden outside your window is your kind of thing, then you may like it for it's erm... convenience. For me, I was left to wonder where the famously smooth-and-white-as-tofu-skinned boys of Ipoh had all gone to. Probably KL. Tsk tsk.

I kinda wished I had just gone ahead to Taiping for the night. The air's fresher there, and the food is not only good, it's amazingly cheap. Maybe next time, then.

Penang was more of a dissapointment, workwise. I spent a good deal of time running around, rescheduling and ultimately getting ffk-ed (stood up) by half of the people I had made appointments with. Horrible manners, these people of the North. So having to deal with all this meant that I only had time to hunt for DVDs. And eat. And buy tau sar peah. And eat. And go for body attack, body balance, and body jam. And eat. And catch up with my ex-housemate. And eat. And eat. And eat.

Hey, one still has to eat while one's at work, no?

Coming up next: What I ate

10 Comments:

daniel henry said...

yea man... everyone thinks... wah going to where ah... so nice... company send you here and there to work...
but...
hello... are you forgetting something... i'm going to work... and waste my time on travelling! le sigh...
happy travelling... hehe ;o)

savante said...

hate the travelling part - the transportation part of course. Don't mind going new places but I hate the hours taken to reach there. Always wished we had teleportation devices!

Ryan said...

Too bad you didn't feel welcome in Penang. Next time you go North, call on me ;)

I'll make your work trip more pleasurable (read what you will into that).

Anonymous said...

I've done so much travelling for work over the last couple of years - probably spent about six months in total away from home. I was asked recently if I'd ever considered buying a holiday home, and I replied that I already had one in Northumberland that I visit almost every weekend.

Like you, most of my travel is to pretty uninteresting places, and I don't even get any air miles when I fly (cheapo airline). But, I did get one week in Rome last year on a course.

It's quite cool going to such a touristy place as a non-tourist. I had to walk past the Colosseum every day on my way to work and back. Wearing a suit, you are invisible to the hawkers who suddenly notice you when you appear in the same place later in civvies.

I'm told there's a chance of me getting some work in Thailand next year. I'm sceptical though, as when I joined my current project I was told to expect to spend some time in an army base in Germany, and ended up working in an office in Swindon with a distinct lack of soldiers :(

Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~geekchic

OK la, Sorry for standing you up but I gave you notice the moment I know about it! 2am meeting ma. Sorry-la darling. :)

"or me, I was left to wonder where the famously smooth-and-white-as-tofu-skinned boys of Ipoh had all gone to."

It's girls la. Boys never get those! :)

drownedglass said...

danielhenry: LOL. Thanks! In fact, I'm outstation again right now.

And thanks for coming by :)

savante: Tell me about it. I had a rocky plane ride followed by an even rockier boat ride yesterday. I'm still dizzy :(

Ryan: Hello. Thanks for coming in and commenting :D

I didn't actually mean to put down everyone in Penang la. Just those people who stood me up. There are plenty of warm and nice people there too.

Oh and next time I'm there (which may be a long time away), I just may call on you. You might just regret inviting me ;)

Stephen: Way things are right now, you might wanna keep an eye on the situation in Thailand before saying yes to a job there next year.

Hmm... I never quite got what you do for a living. But a job that occassionally puts you in close proximity to men in uniform can't be bad! ;)

drownedglass said...

geekchic: Oh I didn't mean you either! Just those guys from work. At least you had the graciousness of informing me before hand.

And I would never dream of standing in the way of you and your hot late night date with an (or was it several) ang moh ;)

Anonymous said...

Well... I was in Bangkok for a few days stopover (on the way to Bhutan) during the anti-Thaksin protests earlier this year. Didn't notice a thing. I knew it was going on, because I saw it on the news, but I didn't see any sign of it for myself. It seems to be a very peaceful coup so far - it is after all what most people in Bangkok wanted. So long as they hold elections soon and Thailand doesn't turn into another Burma.

Oh and I'm not sure what my official title is these days but I design computer software, currently for the Ministry of Defence. My proximity to men in uniform is all too occasional I'm afraid - I spent most of my time around fellow nerds and geeks - but the work is secret. Secretly, it isn't that exciting, but it does mean I can go all James Bond on my friends and tell them I can't tell them what I did at work today or they'll be shot.

loopy said...

just stumbled on to your blog.

anyway i can testify to the famously smooth-and-white-as-tofu-skinned boys of ipoh. afterall i see him in the mirror everyday.

of course, the mirror IS in KL, lol.

PS. the same applies for girls as well...

drownedglass said...

Well thanks for stumbling in then. Hope you enjoyed your stay :)

And your mirror in KL must be having a jolly time yah.