Friday, July 11, 2008

The Third Volume: In Which We Learn A Little More Of Destiny, Death, Dream, Destruction, Desire, Despair & Delirium (Who Was Once Delight)

I've dribbled, drooled, gushed and gasped over this enough times already last year and the year before that. Suffice to say, I'm still incredibly loving Sandman (even though it's been a little more than a decade since I first read it!), and I am so so glad I grabbed that second-to-last of the Volume III's in Kino last weekend at 20% off.

Thanks to the vigilant Wingedman for tipping me off! Haha. I suppose by now their stocks will be gone until the reorder comes in. Hehe.

Volume III covers the "Brief Lives" story arc, the tales told at World's End, and a host of miscellaneous standalone yarns, including the rather inspirational - "Fear of Falling".

I love "Brief Lives", mainly because of the heavy involvement of Delirium, one of Gaiman's most fascinating characters (kind of the Fool archetype who spouts all sorts of weird shit and and occasionally some really insightful shit just falls out). Dream, getting all gloomy as usual after get spurned (yet again), decides to tag along his sister in her search for their missing brother. Yes, all sorts of things happen, including yet another pebble getting cast into that murky pond of fate. Add that to all the other pebbles and ripples from the previous stories and you'd get... Volume IV of course.

The miscellany of stories in Volume III does serve as a little break. It's really the calm before the storm. Volume IV would be the last of the collection, climaxing the series with "The Kindly Ones" followed by the very beautiful epilogue, "The Wake" (of which a glimpse is given in Volume III).

I'm so looking forward to finally having the entire Sandman series in my collection. Thankfully, I don't have to wait that long as it's due for release come year's end, just in time for Christmas sales.

Yay!

Sergio Aragones' Gream?


Delirium/Delight


Little Endless!

1 Comment:

savante said...

But I do love the Lil Endless. So damned cute.