Sunday, June 22, 2008

Saturday Night Worship

It's been a seriously long while since the gang gathered, so when wifi, jaq, qwazymonkey and I decided to get together, we of course planned it around (what else but) food.

We decided to visit the new kid on the block of upmarket restaurants lining Changkat BB - Weiner's! Oh wait... it's WERNER'S... hehe. Werner's is the sister eatery to Elcerdo, right across the street. I suppose they wanted to expand their market share, because while Elcerdo serves nothing but pork, Werner's caters anything but pork!



What can I say? The place is lovely, and the ambience is just right for having a romantic dinner. Not that the five of us were having a romantic dinner lah. Ahem.

Sole Fritters and Salad Nicoise

Food. Definitely nice, though some were better than others. The Salad Nicoise was fresh and zesty, and came with a huge chunk of grilled tuna steak. The sole fritters were pleasant, though I've had better fish with the fish and chips served in the streets of Melbourne and Capetown. What made it nice was the lobster cream sauce and asparagus, which lent subtle flavours to the dish. The duck ragout with pasta was also nice, but again, not outstanding.

Sliced Veal and Duck Ragout Pasta

Probably the best dish of the night was the sliced veal. The meat was tender and was nicely coated in a light brown sauce. The roesti potato served alongside made a great accompaniment.

We didn't sample the desserts, tempting as they seemed. Probably because by then, we were itching for some street fare, easily found just a hop and a skip away (okay, fine... several hops and skips away) down the road.

Prices, as to be expected, were on the heavy side. One salad, one pasta, two mains and two bottles of water came up to a smidgeon over RM200 for the five of us there. Yes, we were charged for the water. Personally, I don't begrudge a restaurant charging for water (though I also believe at the prices they charge, they can afford complimentary water), but at RM18 a bottle? I didn't check but I'm very sure that wasn't so much bottled water as it was water in a bottle.

Anyway, ranting aside, it was, all in all, a nice dinner in a beautiful place. The host was friendly and helpful, and service was quick and without fuss. Definitely a meal that would satisfy a gourmet, but kind of fell short for us gluttons. So we paid the bill, thanked our hosts, and stepped out into the balmy night...

And ventured down Tengkat Tong Shin to Ngau Kee for one of the best beef ball noodles in town.

Moo-rtifying second meal

Didn't I say we were gluttons?

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

They were having a 50% promo in May. I went there 3 times :P The Veal is fantastic!I like the Andrea's Special , yummy yummy!

qwazymonkey said...

I bet you Jack went home and cooked himself a bowl of Maggi Mee. With Egg. Plus a can of luncheon meat.

Legolas said...

I miss my Sarawak Kolok Mee... I think I have too much Chinese food now.

Wandernut said...

I heart El Cerdo.
And Werner is the name of the owner. He looks a little like skinny Magnum PI with glasses.

The last few times I went to Ngau Kee I was awfully disppointed. In fact, it was quite bad the last time I went. Watered down soup. Tasteless chunks of beef. The only thing still remotely tasty was the black mince meat sauce. I hope it's better now.

You guys should go check out Pallete Pallete on Jalan Mesui (next to No Black Tie). The food is not happening, but the free refillable seaweed flavoured popcorn is wonderful. And alcoholic 'kat chai shuen mui'. Damn kao good lor.

savante said...

Damn, I've beenw anting to try Werner's for a while now. Good?

joshua said...

Go try the NON-HALAL NASI LEMAK opposite SAN PENG flats, off Jalan San Peng... like OMG sinful!

Kit said...

wow. i think it is great that you guys have such a good time eating. everything sounds so delish. oh well, gotta go make my instant noodle now...

Anonymous said...

LOL, talk about getting ripped off...rm18 per bottle? that´s like daylight robbery!