Saturday, January 27, 2007

Paradise (Not For Me)

Autour de moi
Je ne vois pas
Qui sont des anges
Surement pas moi
Madonna


It's still January. And already I'm feeling the tedium. Being shipped to the land of nothing happening for a week can do that. Helped along by a 3 hour postponement to my return flight (be thankful it's not an overnighter), thanks to Air Delaysia.

But oh, just when I thought I've made it back when along came the cab ride from... well, heaven.

We had barely left the airport when the cab driver turned to me and asked me how I performed my evening prayers in the plane.

Like... what?

My brain, all addled with lack oxygen, struggled to determine if I heard him right. After he repeated himself twice more, I realised his mistake.

"Oh, no... no...," I explained, "I'm not a Muslim."

But it didn't matter anyhow. I was in his cab, and I was in his mercy. Or perhaps in his God's mercy. I'm sure that's what he thought, that near-fanatic, chauvinistic zealot (beautiful women are filled with sin, as are singers - I was tempted to ask him about nasyid, but decided I shouldn't encourage him - and footballers; probably there'll be a special purgatory for JLo). I suppose he simply sees it as his duty and blessing to be able to preach to all his customers while they're helplessly stuck in his vehicle, but I'm honestly tired of people who have no respect of other people's beliefs.

Spare me your paradise. I just want to go home.

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. You look Muslim meh?

I take it you weren't snacking on a char siew pau at the time.

Stephen said...

I had a Taoist taxi driver in Borneo, which I thought was pretty cool... just made a mental note not to ask him if he knew the Way.

mARCus said...

LOL, was he just trying to pull your leg or do you really get that tanned and bronzed? been sunbathing huh?

pakcik said...

honestly..when i met u for the 1st time that day..u did look like malay rather than chinese lor..maybe the cabbie thought that you are ;)

haha...circumsize lor...

Sam said...

Awwww...

But he was just trying to make conversation... =P

Anonymous said...

haha... multiracial can be a bliss.

savante said...

Aiyah, you missed your prayers!

MrBunnyBan said...

Tsk tsk! You have been a baaaad Muslim.

Ryan said...

Well, from your little thumbnail on the right, you do look a little like one of those modern, mixed-blooded Malays who look European, Chinese, and Indian all at one go.

But hey, you just opened up a new avenue for dating!

thompsonboy said...

Ppl always mistaken me for malay..even the chinese..so...

Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~geekchic
You should've started chugging on the midori. :)

drownedglass said...

Jay:
Ehehe. You are right. I wasn't snacking on char siew pau at the time :)

Stephen:
LOL. That's a good one! Corny... but good :P

mARCus:
I don't get bronzed. I just get dark.

pakcik:
Ha? Circumcised guys aren't necessarily malay what.

Sam:
Monologues don't qualify as conversation.

clarence:
Well it could be provide there is enough love and respect to go around.

Paul:
Alamak! So I did!

Ban:
Turning sheep, are we?

Ryan:
It's a thumbnail. I'm sure you can attribute all sorts of looks to it :P

And what avenue? Sex in the surau?

Thompsonboy:
Don't you find that it's usually the chinese who would assume you're malay?

Geekchic:
Yeah. Chug away while "happily" agreeing to everything he says!