Thursday, June 05, 2008

Save The Bank Account, Save The World

Here in our proud little nation, we are celebrating the increase in petrol prices today by a whopping 78 cents per litre, up from $1.92. And if that isn't reason enough to cheer, how about an electricity tariff hike thrown in for good measure?

Let us not forget how our petrol prices are still so much cheaper than the neighbouring island city-state. Meanwhile, try not to think about how our salaries are also so much less compared to our neighbouring counterparts.

But that wasn't what I was going to talk about, really. After all, it's World Environment Day. Ironically enough, the current national situation prompts us to think long and hard about seriously cutting down on fuel and energy consumption, which is rather good for the environment. Why, I'd say it's the right kick-in-the-butt we need to start taking public transport and reducing our dependency on private vehicles. Oh wait... we don't have quick and reliable public transport like our dear neighbour, do we?

Well, I'm sure the powers that be are doing something about it. After all, they pledged to channel funds into developing a better public transport system the last time they slashed petrol subsidies, didn't they? Just look at how busy they've been in the last two years - building more tolled highways and shamelessly promoting the embarrassment that is our national car manufacturer... What's that, you say? That's got nothing to do with public transportation? Well, I'll be...

Looks like I'll have to shelve that plan indefinitely until the day our politicians put public welfare before pride and pockets. Or the day pigs fly. Whichever comes first.

In the meantime, here are some simple things I can and have been doing:

Be a nicer driver. I admit, I still forget sometimes and just floor the pedal. But enthusiastic acceleration and wildly braking result in higher fuel consumption, more wear and tear, with perhaps a few minutes of driving time saved to show for it. Not quite worth it, is it? Drive safe, drive courteously, save money, and save the world.

Don't stop to pay the toll. Again, halting the car then getting it going again is highly fuel inefficient, your brakes won't love you for it, and the power windows will give up that much faster. And that's if you don't have to crawl through a queue. I've started using that transmitter thingy that lets me through toll gates without having to fully stop, in the hopes of reducing wear and tear, improving mileage, and getting to the gym after work on time. Of course, it'll be so much better if they just abolished toll collection completely (hint, hint, you MP's out there). Drive on, spare the change, and save the world.

Turn off the lights and everything else. I don't always do this, so I guess I should start paying a little more attention. Leaving appliances on standby does consume minute amounts of electricity. Apparently, it does cost us more than we think. So switch off, lighten the bills, and save the world.

Plant a tree. Or sponsor one, and have someone plant it for you. I did, right here. Spend money on trees instead of paper, save the world.

Spend a day at the mall. May not make much sense, but the way I see it, I get to do everything in one place - be it banking, having my lunch, shopping, gymming, drinks with friends, or the requisite eye-washing. And yes, the air-conditioning at the mall is running whether or not I'm there, so I reduce my home electricity consumption on hand, and reduce the mall's energy-consumption-to-consumer ratio on the other. I suppose I could save even more by walking around the neighborhood instead of driving to the mall, but unfortunately, there are barely any amenities in my neighbourhood, aside from a really nice park. Also, quite frankly, I'm anti-social enough as I am - any more isolation and I'd be a hermit. So this is how it'll be for now - save my social life, maybe spend more cash, but save the world, anyway. Sort of.

Shower with a friend. Ok - this one, I really need to work on.

Times really aren't that easy these days and from the looks of it, it's bound to get harder. Guess it's time to tighten the belts and the only way to do that is by cutting down consumption. Kick the carbon habit, as they say. Perhaps it really does pay to go green.

If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make the change
You gotta get it right while you got the time
'Cause when you close your heart, then you close your mind

Michael Jackson : Man In The Mirror

7 Comments:

Spot said...

I've been wondering if it'd be legal to get around by horse or cow instead of a car.

But so many issues...what to do about brake lights? How/where to park? Rear view mirrors?

Ganymede said...

Oooo I like your idea especially showering with a friend. I'd say why stop at one? Have two or three! :P

Anonymous said...

spot: brake lights: have a mechanical thingamajig connected to your brakes. the moment you brake, some sign pops up at the back saying: COW STOPPING.

park: park the same place where you'd park a vehicle. instead of using a steering lock, use a tether, hee hee.

rear view mirrors: attach mirrors to the cow's/horse's ears, HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH...

even funnier thought: spot, err.. cow riding a cow and pig riding a cow.

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

*rofl*

ps-and you know what's even better? you don't even need a license for that!

drownedglass said...

queer ranter:
I have a feeling that would lead to more water being used, not less :P

geekchic:
The sign popping out the back side thing is funny, but oh so gross!

spot:
Sorry, I really hate to say this but cows are a major contributor to greenhouse gases! Replacing cars with cows won't really help. Hehe.

Anonymous said...

bloodyhell, did they do it again? gosh, hope it encourages ppl to stop driving!

savante said...

Let's start a shower with a friend campaign!

Ry said...

OMG i think the last trick would work for couples. you save, water, shower gel, tissues, time, and all at one go !