Saturday, September 27, 2008

How The Meat In My Hand Mellowed My Heart

Had a haircut. Had a burger. Burger was more expensive than haircut.

Even before adding the coke and fries.

But at that very first bite, with it's juices slipping along my tongue, it set me to reminiscing as images surfaced unbidden.

The greasy grills of Lygon Street.
The "Love Our Song" commercial.
The weekly Ramly at the Thursday night neighbourhood pasar malam of my childhood.
The JD at TGIF.
The Aussie I had attempted to make at home.

I suppose it's inevitable for someone like me to have memories embedded in my tastebuds. After all, life for me happens one meal at a time.


Portobello Mushroom Cheeseburger @ Carl's Jr

4 Comments:

Legolas said...

So many memories with just one meal. I wonder what do I associate my memories with.

savante said...

Wow. Now that is one burger.

drownedglass said...

Legolas:
Well memories are normally tied to the senses. It could be a smell or a song :-)

savante:
LOL. It certainly isn't TWO burgers :P

Wandernut said...

With a title like that, how not have my head in the gutter?

Mmmmm I love aussie burgers... the slice of beetroot makes it uber yummy. Near my uni in the kampung of Bathurst, a local grill makes this giant of a burger that's about the size of a dinner plate - kid you not.

Double of everything - beef patty, eggs, bacon, cheese, beetroot... all in twos... sandwiched in a huge sesame bun. It's not something a normal person should eat in one meal.... most of my friends divided it into lunch and dinner.

Me? What do you think?
Ate the whole damn thing. With a pack of chicken salt fries. Oh yeahhhh.

But my ultimate fav are burgers with mushrooms and cheese in it... mmMMMMmmmmmm....