Thursday, July 05, 2007

Of Chicken Chops and... Okay, Just Chicken Chops

To be precise, the New KFC Black Pepper Chicken Chop Combo, which was exactly how I placed my order. Really, the name's such a mouthful. But the question is... was the chicken?


Well, considering it's fast food, I never really expected it to wow me. But like the instant gratification junkie that I am, I simply had to give it a try anyway.

So how did I find it?

Well, let's start with the accompanying dishes. Heck, let's start with the cream of mushroom soup. Being KFC, which is like the evil stepsister of Pizza Hut (being the other evil stepsister), it was the same drab, diluted instant soup they serve there. Except they managed to further the indignity by serving it in a polystyrene container. Which wouldn't have been all that bad if I had not been given the options of drinking it by either slurping it straight from the container or sipping with a plastic teaspoon. I chose the former. It was KFC, after all.


Coleslaw and bun were the usual coleslaw and bun. No comment there (no need to).

Fries. The crinkle cut does make the fries look pretty. But seriously, who eats fries at KFC? Those who had probably wish they didn't. I mean they serve such sinfully yummy mash potatoes (drowning in a rather suspect sauce), and slathering their wedges with mayonnaise and cheddar cheese was pure genius. But they never seem to be able to make their fries nice. Heck, even I can make better fries. Even though they were actually baked. And it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. But that's another story...

So coming to the main item - the chicken chop. Well, the good thing about it is that it was the meatiest piece of original recipe chicken I had in a long, long, longlong time - the OR chicken these days turn out to be 11 herbs and spices marinated into skin and bones. As for the black pepper sauce... I could see the black pepper but couldn't really taste it. After all, the sauce was really the mash potato sauce with bits of black pepper in it. Which wasn't too bad, I guess. Overall though, I would have enjoyed my usual Hot 'n Spicy chicken, or the occasional Cheezy BBQ Wrapz more. Much more.

The verdict? Well, I feel it was a waste of wasting my gruelling *cough*half-hour*cough* workout at the gym on this. Honestly, it would have been better if I had just crossed the road to have the chicken chop opposite the gym. It's much tastier, the serving's more generous, and it doesn't hurt to have a rather cute (if slightly portly) chef to erm... help with the saliva production (the better to digest the chicken chop with, I hear).

And before you ask, it's not any of the four gyms in KL. Or the four in PJ. Or the two in Subang.

11 Comments:

joshua said...

So you fall prey to the KFC on the Ground Floor near the TSL jewellery shop uh? haha

I TOLD YOU FF n KFC has some unwritten agreement!!! Hmph!

I will have to tell you about the Chicken Chop I had last week in Kota Kinabalu that just made me wanna stop eating it for many many months.


SOOOOO GIGANTIC I TELL YOU!

Anonymous said...

haha, you really gotta stop eating all those junks...dun wan your waistline to grow bigger than it already is...

Little Prince said...

SUMMIT!

Anonymous said...

i'd suspected it to be as 'surprisingly refreshing' as their rice combo.

anyway, just spill the location of the rather-cute chef eatery.. haha..

savante said...

Alamak! And I was hoping to try.

Ryan said...

I thought KFC had once released chicken chop combo last time. Was it last year?! The chicken was so tiny! It hardly filled up my stomach.

drownedglass said...

joshua:
LOL. And I told you that not every club is next to a KFC ;-)

Well at least your chicken chop was satisfying and I'm sure it got all burnt up with your mountain climbing.

b:
Hmm... yeah, I really should aspire to all lean and toned and totally hunkalicious. As opposed to fatalicious :P

daniel:
Erm... whatever you say..

clarence:
"Refreshing" is just never the word to use to describe any of the old Colonel's products.

savante:
Aww... don't let my rant deter you from fatty fried chook. You know you wanna!

Ryan:
Did they? I can't keep up with all the ridiculous things they've come up with (including fish burgers).

But I must say the Wrapz was a great idea and I'm glad it's made it onto the permanent menu :-)

joshua said...

lol my waistline is bursting :(

Ganymede said...

Oh deng... Stupid spammers...

The chicken looks tempting. Thank goodness my craving for KFC has past or else I might just eat several of those. :P

Stephen said...

That just looks disgusting... don't think I'd try that even after several treble vodkas. Mind you I'm sure you might think the same about kebabs and anything else at a typical English chippy (only fast food outlets I patronise, normally).

drownedglass said...

joshua:
Well my waistline almost burst at BJam just now ;-)

Queer Ranter:
Deng is da word!

Looks tempting? I think Stephen disagrees...

Stephen:
Actually I do enjoy kebab. But then again I got them in Greek cafes (or maybe they were Italian, but close enough... though I'm sure they'd take offense at my saying so).

Maybe you're talking about the kebabs served at English chippies, which I haven't tried but sounds decidedly unpromising all the same :P

That said, I still have yet to encounter anything more disgusting than the typical Aussie Chinese 'dim sims'.