Friday, February 16, 2007

In The Mood For Red

Back when I was a student with time in my hands, I always loved getting the house ready for the Chinese New Year. Well, not the sweeping or the scrubbing or the washing part of it anyway. My inclinations never skewered that way.

No, what I would take charge of was, of course, the decorations! I loved doing it. From the folding origami to laying out the wall patterns, I would always strive to do something different every year. Granted, it wasn't easy and sometimes less than satisfying considering the limited resources I had to work with - namely, the season's cards and ang paos (red packets), thrown together with last years' (sometimes last five years') decorative pieces (think fake plum blossoms).

Once I was so bored of sticking the fake blossoms on twigs I decided to string them all up and hang them from the ceiling of the living room. This was way before a certain cafe opened in KL to rave reviews about its suspended feathers.

Nowadays, though, it's a much simpler affair. Above all, working till the last (or next to last) day before the new year means I don't have enough idle time in my hands to plot nefarious schemes to frustrate my mom (while I'm the one who puts up the decorations, she's the one who has to take them down).

Even with a place of my own now, I don't really bother much to do anything to it. As it is, I can barely keep my place clean and tidy. What's the point of decorating the place if there are books and mags here, there, everywhere; the dining tables a place to store shoeboxes and mails; and I haven't wiped the grime off the windows?

At least this year, I have new curtains so nobody has to look at the windows. And the mess on my dining table can be easily moved to a less conspicuous spot in my house (I have an entire room dedicated to a miscellany of messes). As for the books and mags... erm, I'll just call them decorative details.

Besides, tacky Chinese New Year decor is fine for the family home but no way I'll have that in my place! My reputation would be as tattered as a decade-old origami crane.

Maybe to add flavor to the occasion I'll buy a pumpkin for a centrepiece.

And perhaps, just perhaps, I would raise the red lantern - though my preferred phrase is "big red lantern high high hang".

For now, I'll settle for tinting my blog red.

Happy New Year, all! Time to get piggy wit' it.

14 Comments:

Little Prince said...

;o)

Stephen said...

Happy New Year... from a pig :)

pakcik said...

gong xi fatt chai :)

Sam said...

Happy Chinese New Year! =D

You know the drill: hand over that angpow. =P

savante said...

You tinted the blog red? Mana! Itu darker shade of pink :P

But anyway, happy CNY! 恭喜发财!

Anonymous said...

I'm working on the 1st day of CNY... how lidat :)

Gong Xi Fa Cai, Wan Shi Ru Yi

Anonymous said...

xing nien xing qi xiang!

hope i got the pinyin right :p

Xav

Janvier said...

Kung Hey Fatt Choy! May your Boar-ing Lunar New Year be filled with Interesting Times!

mARCus said...

hey, you did a good job making your blog all CNY-ish...

we dont decorate much at home too, just some pussywillow and that's it...

:p

Spot said...

Red meh? But I see yellow!

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year hun. I used to make firecrackers out of rolled up ang pow packets. Ugh.

Spot: He's tinted the banner red red mah.

snowdrop said...

big red lantern high high hang
big red angpows many many come :)

happy new year!

thompsonboy said...

Honey, you are gay indeed. No gay man can resist the lure of decorating but I find it less appealing as age and work escalates. Didn't even bothered with Xmas tree last year. Grinch.

drownedglass said...

daniel:
Erm.. ;0) back to you

Stephen:
We're all pigs at heart lah. Oinks!

pakcik:
Thanks. Hope you had a good holiday

Sam:
Same to ya. Did you balik the old town? The new mall's got some nice shops!

And you know the drill, I ain't married!

Paul:
Wah... got cina character some more! Gong xi FAT chai, yeah!

The dark side of pink is where I am ;-)

JL:
Hmmm... at least you're going on a great vacation :-)

Have oodles of fun! Happy new year!

Xav:
Erm... I think I actually understood that. Xin nian kuai le, wan shi ru yi!

Janvier:
LOL. Did you know 'interesting times' is more of a curse than a blessing? Haha. Happy Piggy Year to you and you!

mARCus:
Yeah my blog looks like a giant ang pao now doesn't it?

'Just some pussywillow' is exactly how my apartment's being decorated this year :P

Spot:
Hmm... probably your screen resoultion's not high enough then. Try a screen width of at least 900px.

Happy New Year! It's pig's turn this year. Cows will have to wait another two years ;-)

Jay:
It's actually the background rather than the banner. But never mind...

Zhu ning bu bu gao shen, xin xiang shi cheng. Happy new year, dearie!

snowdrop:
Can always count on one of you to berpantun. Hehe.

Happy new year, piglet!

thompsonboy:
LOL. Seriously, putting up decorations may be fun and all that but when it comes to taking them down.... urgh.

Selamat tahun baru cina! Hope you had fun getting sand in your shoes :-)